Don’t worry the recipe is not as long as the name. Actually its pretty simple, almost all the ingredients are in the name. It is a simple cookie recipe with no frills.
Yes the idea behind this one like most of my other recipes was It should be healthy(compared to the store bought cookies), with simple ingredients and the recipe should be easy so I should be able to recreate whenever needed. Most importantly kids should like it, I mean that’s the whole point here.
I would say I almost succeeded. These were very soft cookies with nice peanut butter flavor (mild grainy texture). My son liked them and my husband was really impressed with the result and I ended up eating a lot of them. As I mentioned being a wholewheat cookie it has a grainy texture, if you want them to taste more smooth textured please check the notes below the recipe.
I wanted to include peanut butter to my son’s meals for its nutritive values, but he doesn’t like it as such. Thus I tried these cookies, I anyways keep adding peanut butter to our regular roti, parantha dough or chilla batter.
Now coming to the recipe, these cookies look nice and big but the balls that I made were very small. I basically divided the whole dough somewhere about 25-30 cookies. Also make sure to have unsalted butter softened at room temperature. I just added some chocolate chips to the top make it more appealing to my son, you may add more to the dough or just omit it if you are not a chocolate fan.
Recipe for Wholewheat peanut butter choco chip egg less cookies
Whole Wheat flour – 1 ¼ cups
Baking powder – ½ tsp
Baking soda – ¾ tsp
Salt – ¼ tsp
Butter unsalted – ½ cup, at room temperature
Granulated sugar – ½ cup
Brown sugar – ¾ cup, lightly packed
Peanut butter – ½ cup
Milk – ¼ cup
Semisweet choco chips- 1/4 cup (optional)
1) Preheat the oven at 180 deg c
2) Mix the Wholewheat flour, baking powder,baking soda, salt together.
3) Now add both sugars and mix well. (if you are adding chocolate chips to the dough add them now)
4) Now add both peanut butter and normal butter and start mixing with your hands to nicely mix the butter to the flour. (you may also put the sugars and butters in a blender with some milk and blend but then cleaning this blender plus taking all the mixture out is a challenge for me thus I prefer this way)
5) Start adding little milk at a time and knead gently into a dough, it won’t be a very perfect dough so don’t worry if you see it to be disintegrating (be sure not to over knead). Refrigerate the dough for 25-30 minutes at least or if u are in a hurry like me put it in freezer for fifteen minutes after putting in an airtight container or cling wrap.
6) Grease the cookie tray and divide the dough in to 25 to 30 balls.
7) Press each ball gently and add 3-4 chocolate chips on each cookie and place them on the cookie sheet. Make sure to leave enough room around each ball as these are going to expand.
8) If you have to bake in 2 batches please refrigerate the leftover dough while the first batch is baking.
9) Bake the cookies for 10 to 15 minutes or until the edges are light brown. (cookies might seem bit tender at the center but they tend to harden on cooling)
1) For smoother texture and yet whole wheat benefits I would replace 1/4 cup whole wheat flour to All purpose flour (maida) and use all the granulated sugar instead of brown sugar.
2) I like my cookies less sweet if that’s if you want increase the sugar please.
3) You may want to add roasted peanut chunks or just use chunky peanut butter to ad that peanut crunch.