This vegetarian avocado sandwich is a perfect lazy Sunday breakfast or brunch. Those Sunday mornings when you wish to sleep just 30 more minutes because you have to get up early tomorrow, even when that wall clock is saying its 10 and your kids and husband are already hungry, this vegetarian avocado sandwich is there for rescue.
Are you thinking why get into the fuss and not just have some bread and butter? well you sure can, but its just that, most probably you are not going to have this much time for breakfast for next 5 days . I would save the bread butter option for the weekdays.
So now that I have convinced you to try this interesting yet very simple breakfast, avocado sandwich (at least I think so) let me tell you this, its an avocado guacamole sandwich, much more flavorful.
Guacamole as we all know is a very interesting avocado dip / spread or salad, whatever you please to call it. Its basically an avocado mash mixed with different veggies & herbs mildly spiced. Basically we are going to put this into our sandwiches with some vegetables, grill it and ta da your vegetarian avocado sandwich is ready.
You must be thinking if its that simple why you need a recipe? actually you don’t. I think that’s true for any sandwich. Sandwich recipes for me are really forgiving, just mix and match stuff and enjoy, however the key here is balancing the flavor and tastes. We have to be sure that the things we are putting together get along well and complement each others taste, another thing about sandwiches is the crunch and moisture. we need to make sure our sandwich is not dry specially if you are going to grill it, and if you like your sandwich crunchy make sure you don’t add all soggy stuff along with grilling it nice and brown.
So if we have a look at this Avocado/ guacamole vegetable sandwich the guacamole is the main taste and it also provides the moisture now I have used all mild vegetables like cabbage, tomato and onion(white ones) they add crunch but don’t overpower the mild guacamole taste. Am I making any sense now? (Do I sound like a school teacher :D?)
Just like the recipe, let’s keep the post for this quick and simple Vegetarian Avocado sandwich short and simple and jump right to the recipe
- Bread slices -4
- Butter / vegan butter-2 tbsp
- Ripe Avocado - 2*
- Onion: 1 medium**
- Tomato:1 Large
- Cilantro chopped :1/2 cup
- Green Chilies:1-2
- Lemon Juice: 2-3 Tbsp
- Salt :To taste
- Peel and Mash ripe avocado in a bowl. You may use a fork to Mash the avocado.
- Remove seeds and Chop half the tomato
- Chop onion and green chilies
- Add the onion tomato, chilies and cilantro to mashed avocado mix well.
- Add salt, pepper and 1.5 tbsp lemon juice. mix well
- Taste and adjust lemon juice if needed.
- Your guacamole is ready.
- Butter one side of the bread
- Keeping the buttered side down generously spread guacamole on the bread.
- Add slices of onion and tomato and shredded cabbage and cover with another bread buttered side up
- Grill and serve with coffee or tea
- * Store the left over guacamole with the seed this prevents it from turning black
- **I use white onion as its mild if using any pungent onion like red you may soak it in water for some time to get rid of the strong flavor.