This one is one of my very favorite rice dishes and is kind of a complete meal. Sometimes I make Mirchi ka salan with it but most of the time I only go with curd or raita that’s it, you are good to go. I will come up with the recipe of mirchi ka salan soon for now its just vegetable biryani.
I won’t say its tough to make Vegetable Biryani but its definitely a long process, it involve steps to separately cook rice with spices, then get the vegetaables ready seperately and finally layering and finishing the biryani. But when you get these aromatic rice, flavored strongly with spices and lots of mixed vegetables you will feel every step was worth it. Plus you don’t make Biryani every day, save it for a special one. Why don’t you plan it for the upcoming valentines.
While making biryani we use brown onions, crispy fried. Browning onion needs some caution cause onions go very quickly from browned to burnt. So wee need to make sure to do onions in batches, in hot oil, and to take them out just when they are par brown as the cooking doesn’t stop when its taken out on the plate and you will see a change in color soon. Rest of the steps are not very typical, but definitely needs some time.
So lets start with the recipe,
Basmati Rice -1 cup soaked for 1/2 hour
Brown Onion-1 cup
Cauliflower – 10 florets
French Beans-1/2 cup chopped
Carrots-chopped- 1/2 cup
Peas- 1/2 cup
Thick yogurt- 3/4 cup
Green cardamom- 3
cumin seeds-1/2 Tsp
Ginger -1/2 inch piece
Green chili- 2-3
Fresh coriander leaves-1/2 cup chopped
Lemon juice-3 Tsp
Oil: 5-6 teaspoon
salt- to taste
Coriander powder-1 Tsp
Garam Masala-1 Tsp
1) Boil rice with 1 black cardamom, 1 bay leaf, 1 green cardamom till almost cooked remove water and set aside.
2) In a wok heat oil add rest of bay leaf , green cardamom, cloves, and cumin seeds and let them splutter for 30 seconds.
3) Add ginger, garlic paste and green chili paste, cook for another 30 seconds.
4) Add all chopped vegetables and let them cook for a few minutes until slightly tender, we want to cook them and yet retain a bit of crunch.
5) Once the vegetables are cooked keep the heat low and and add the powdered spices and let it cook for a minute.
6) And now add the yogurt make sure the temperature of the wok is low else the yogurt will separate.
7) Turn off the flame and set aside these cooked and marinated vegetables.
8) To assemble the biryani, take a heavy bottomed pan start layering vegetables and then rice sprinkle brown onions and hand torn mint leaves and some coriander, repeat the whole layering step so that we have 3-4 layers and the top layer is of rice. Add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice over each layer.
9) Put a heavy lid on and let the pot simmer for 7-10 minutes. In case you think the pot is not thick enough, you may keep a tava/skillet on low flame and then keep this biryani pot over it to avoid direct flame.
10) Once ready to serve open the lid to release the aroma, do not mix the biryani. To get layers on your plate dunk the spatula at 90 deg and then take out the biryani and serve. Enjoy this amazing vegetable biryani with raita, salad, papad etc.