Hey guys welcome back, I am really excited today? Do I say it every Tuesday ?? Well then today I am even more excited , no prizes for guessing, its because of today’s recipe Tandoori Gobhi / Gobi Masala. I am so excited and proud at the same time to present my very own version of the classic Tandoori Gobi.
Typically Tandoori gobi is spicy marinated cauliflower florets baked in tandoor / Oven. Which is very tasty starter or side dish, however I wanted to make a main dish (with which we can have our roti and / or rice ) as in more moist and curry kinds although not with gravy. You see where I am coming from? So without thinking much I marinated the gobi / cauliflower florets in lots of lovely masala and left in fridge overnight . When I started cooking next day I didn’t use oven for this recipe but stuck to the stove and pan for a more juicy semi dry curry and it came out delicious, so yum that my hubby ditched, his diet that night and had extra rotis :D.
Talking about this dish Tandoori Gobi Masala, as you can see in the pictures it’s not a typical gravy however its neither dry, some what semi dry which makes it nice and moist for breads. The texture of the Gobi is not mushy it still has the bite to it and as we have marinated the cauliflower florets for a fair amount of time the spices and yogurt have all come together to give a burst of tangy, spicy, creamy flavors in your mouth. Now I have to highlight that , this Tandoori Gobi Masala has a spicy flavor to it irrespective of the chilies you add as the spices used have there own little heat. So just keep that in mind while adding the green chilies.
Its not a very quick recipe but I won’t say its complicated , you just need to have some time in hand while making is the procedure is long but not complex. So basically we marinate the parboiled cauliflower florets in hung curd/ yogurt and spices for at least 3-4 hours ( I left it overnight) and the cook them all in some more spices along with onion and tomatoes pastes. I haven’t used oven in this recipe as I wanted the gobi to be nice and moist and the curry to have all the flavors of the marinade.
Before we check out the detailed recipe, let me say this guys don’t get overwhelmed with the long list of ingredients(most of them are repeated in marinate and curry) these are simple ingredients most of them are readily available in your kitchen. However if you don’t have tandoori masala available I suggest buying it, as it really adds to the flavor of this dish. Other then that its pretty simple ingredients let’s check the recipe of this spicy and very flavorful Tandoori gobi / gobhi Masala.
- Cauliflower florets : 25-30
- Hung Yogurt :1.5 cups
- Besan/ gram four: 2.5 Tbsp
- Ginger-2 Inch piece
- Garlic: 7-8 medium cloves
- Kasuri methi: 1 tbsp
- Tandoori Masala: 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala: 1/2 tbsp
- Paprika / Degi mirch: 1/2 tbsp (optional)
- Haldi:1/4 tbsp
- Mustard Oil: 1 tbsp
- Onion :1 medium
- Tomato: 1 medium
- Ginger:1 Inch piece
- Garlic: 5 cloves
- Green chilies: 2-3 (or to taste)*
- Oil: 3 tbsp
- Kasuri Methi :1 tbsp
- Tandoori MAsala: 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala: 1/4 Tbsp
- Turmeric: 1/2 Tsp
- Salt:to taste
- Bay leaves:2
- Green coriander :to garnish
- Wash and boil cauliflower florets for 3-4 minutes or till they are partially cooked.
- In a large bowl add hung curd, grated ginger garlic and all the dry spices except turmeric and mustard oil.
- To this curd or yogurt mix add the cauliflower florets and mix well to coat in this spiced mixture.
- Heat mustard oil add the turmeric add this medium hot oil mix too the marinated cauliflower mixture.
- Let this mixture rest for 3-4 hours at least or overnight.
- Blend together onion, tomato, ginger, garlic and green chilies.
- In a pan heat oil and add bay leaves.
- Now add the onion tomato mixture and let it cook for 7-10 minutes stirring in between or until its a dry paste.
- Now add all the dry spices and mix well , you may add 2 tbsp of water if the pan feels to dry after adding spices.
- Mix well and add the cauliflower florets and all the marinade mixture mix well.
- Use 1/2 cup of water to clean the marinade bowl and add this water to the pan.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes stirring in between.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning cook for another 4-5 minutes after removing the lid. The cauliflower should retain the bite and not get mushy.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve hot.
- *This recipe is in general very flavorful and has lots of spices, so even if you don't add much chili you might still feel the heat of spice, keep this in mind while adding the green chilies.
Do make this Tandoori Gobi Masala on your next special occasion, and I assure you it will make your guests go all praises for you.