It is quick, it is healthy, and it is super tasty. This recipe will definitely find its place in your Sunday breakfast. In fact if the batter is ready it is very good for kids lunch box (Tiffin). Lentils as pancake and peas and corns in stuffing makes it a healthy option, add grated Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) to further increase Calcium and Proteins.
Stuffed Moong Dal Chilla(stuffed savoury pancake)
I served it with nariyal (coconut chutney), but it goes pretty well with tomato sauce, tamarind chutney or Mint chutney. I will soon post the recipe for the coconut chutney.
Also if you are watching weight and trying to limit the intake of carbs (rice, wheat etc) this is a good and filling option. Normally in a low carb diet you are suggested to have more lentils and beans to make it a filling meal. These pancakes/chillas definitely will keep your tummy full as well as your taste buds pleased.
I normally keep a mix of moong (split yellow moong lentil) and masoor dal (split red masoor lentil) for daily purposes and used the same for the batter as well. Feel free to use only split yellow moong dal.
For the batter:
Split yellow moong dal- 1/2 cup
Split red masoor dal-1/2 cup
Salt -1/4 tsp
Green peas – 1/2 cup
Sweet corns – 1/2 cup
Cumin Seeds (Jeera) – 1/2 tsp
Chat Masala- 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Dry mango powder (amchoor)- 1 tsp
Red chilli powder- 1/2 tsp (optional)
Turmeric powder (haldi)- 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder (dhaniya)-1/2 tsp
1) Soak dals for a 2-3 hours and grind to a fine paste. Keep the consistency kind of dosa thick such that the pan cake are not to thin.
2) To prepare the stuffing: par cook or microwave the peas and corns for 2-3 minutes each .
3) Let them cool a bit and then churn them in to a mixer jar to get a semi crushed mixture.
4) Heat oil in a nonstick pan at medium heat/ flame and add cumin seeds (jeera), once they start to crackle add all dry masalas (spices). Mix well and be sure not to burn them .
5) Add the peas and corn mixture and mix well. cook for a few minutes and the stuffing is ready.
6) Heat a nonstick pan and apply 1/2 tsp oil. Once the pan is medium hot add one laddle of batter and spread evenly in the form of pancake.
7) Cook first on high flame for 40 sec to a minute and then on medium flame. The chilla/pancake will start to leave the pan once cooked turn it to cook on the other side for 30 seconds
8)Turn again and add the stuffing fold and serve with sauce of your choice.
Note: These moong dal chillas can very well be made in a normal cast iron tawa and stuffing in kadhai, but using nonstick pans ensures less oil is used. Also the initial chillas may stick to cast iron tawas if you are not regular in making chillas and dosas.