So finally I tried this recipe a few weeks back, but I have been planning for this one for ages. A quiche is a classic french dish which basically is a pastry shell filled with a savory filling , which can be be meat, veggies etc. and a custard filling is added to it before baking.
Spinach and cheese quiche is a classic it has a super soft yet crunchy shell and a very smooth caramelized onions and spinach with cheese filling. The richness of cream cheese and whipping cream enhances the flavor multi fold times.
I tried these cute little mini quiches, just because they look prettier and as it was my first time I wanted to bake in small quantity. The result was so nice that I later regretted that thought. I used the store bought frozen pie tart, because I was really in a hurry of trying this recipe. Looking at the end product I would definitely try different versions and make the crust at home this next time too.
So the major challenge now was the custard filling as we want the quiche to have a nice and soft filling yet egg less. I thought of many ways I read about a lot and finally ended up with what I happened to have in my fridge Cream cheese and whipping cream.
Some important things to note for the Spinach and cheese Quiche, thaw the Pie crust if you are using store bought (just follow the instructions on the pack). Spinach tends to leave water, so while cooking we need to ensure all the water is evaporated or squeezed out. Now they need anywhere from 40-50 minutes for baking so you need to plan ahead, also if you are making it for guests or party you may freeze the filled quiches and bake it the next day adding an extra 15 minutes to the baking time. So let get to the recipe now.
Recipe for Spinach and Cheese Quiche
Yield – 6-8 Mini Quiches
Spinach: 200 Gms
Onion- 1 Large
Garlic cloves-2 medium
Mozzarella or cheddar cheese: 3-4 Tbsp
Cream cheese- 3 Tbsp
Whipping cream -2 Tbsp
Salt- to taste
Pepper- 1 Tsp
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash the spinach well and coarsely chop it .
- Chop Onion and garlic
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onion and garlic and when lightly sauteed add spinach and let it cook till it looses the moisture. 6-8 minutes.
- In a blender churn cream cheese and whipping cream and set aside.
- Season the filling with pepper and shredded mozzarella or cheddar (you might as well want to omit this cheese here but it definitely adds to the taste). First taste the filling and add salt only if needed as spinach and cheese have quite some salt already. Let it cool.
- Slightly roll the pie crust, make sure not to roll too much as we like a nice thick crust.
- Cut six to 8 rounds with a cookie cutter or whatever is handy for you as per the size of your muffin cups.
- Grease the muffin cups I used the silicon ones as I thought it would be easier to get the quiches out of them.
- Put the rounds in the muffin tray slightly press them across the boundary to make nice little cups.
- Add in the cooled filling to the mixture and then pour slowly the creme cheese mixture.
- Be sure to leave enough space in the cups as the mixture would bubble up when in the oven.
- Bake in the middle rack of the oven at 400 Deg F for 15 minutes and then at 375 Deg F for the next 30 -40 minutes. The quiches needs to be nice and golden and the center shouldn’t be runny.
- Enjoy these beautiful little quiches with your favorite drink.