I finally tried these veggies in white sauce and I am so so happy I did, the spicy version of vegetable au gratin. As always I needed a change from the regular sabzis and wanted to try something different, I was planning to try these vegetables in white sauce or “Vegetables Au gratin” as they are called in French, but the only thing holding me back was, anything cheesy or with white sauce base I can have only a few spoons after which it is bland for me. Thus I took the guts to experiment a little with these baked veggies in white sauce and made them into the Spicy Veggies in white sauce.
As always I like my recipes to be as simple as possible, thus this one is a one-pot recipe unless you want to bake it, baking brings the brown color on the top and a light shine, but it tastes equally good when served hot right from the pan, or microwaved in the serving bowl, only it won’t be brown on the top (mine is a little too brown :D)
So this recipe is for you if :
- You need a change from the regular curry recipes,
- If you like white sauce & spices
- And don’t have time to try complicated recipes.
About the taste, it’s buttery recipe with chunky veggies cooked just enough that they are soft without losing the crunch and shape. Green chilies and pepper add the right heat and subtle taste of garlic and butter. These baked veggies make a perfect meal as is or with some toasted bread.
This way of making the white sauce is interesting and once you try this you will never make the white sauce separately, for your pasta or bakes. This way you don’t get lumps and is much quicker, just trust this way and go for it.
Feel free to change the veggies to your choice just don’t use the mushy veggies like tomatoes and rest are fine. I haven’t used and herbs here but please do so if you like.
So let’s check out this simple recipe for spicy baked veggies.
- Broccoli: 1 medium
- Peas:1/4 cup
- Baby corn: 6-8
- zucchini: 2
- Carrots:2 medium
- Ginger:1 inch
- Garlic:5-6 large cloves
- Onion:1/2 medium
- Green chilies :3-4
- Black pepper:1/2 tsp
- Salt :to taste
- Butter: 4 tbsp
- Oil: 2 Tsp
- All purpose flour: 4 Tbsp
- Milk :2 cups
- Cheese for topping:1/2 cup (optional)
- Cut broccoli in to bite size florets, carrots in to pieces and zucchini into cubes. Cut each baby corn in 3-4 pieces depending on the size.*
- Grind ginger, garlic, green chilies, and onion to a fine paste.
- Heat butter and oil together in a pan once heated add the above made paste and cook for 2 minutes or until the mixture is cooked.**
- Now add the veggies and mix well , add salt and cook for a minute .
- Add the flours while stirring the veggies and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add milk and mix well, cook till the white sauce thickens, you might want to add more milk to adjust the consistency as er your liking.
- Add black pepper mix .***
- Transfer in the baking dish or if your are using a cast iron skillet cover with cheese and bake at 200 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese browns.
- Serve hot with bread.
- * You may use cauliflower, potatoes etc the veggies available to you locally.
- ** mixing oli and butter prevents butter from burning.
- *** if you don't want to use the oven serve directly from the pan.