If it wasn’t for the typical process I would call them soya bean Biryani, but for now let’s call them Soya bean fried rice or soya chunks Fried rice. Irrespective of the name this dish is full of flavors, very nutritious and like most of my dishes on plumsnpeppers.com it is super easy to make. To top it all this is such a flavorful dish that all you need is some yogurt or raita with it, however I like it just like that, Soya bean fried rice loaded with soya chunks, onions and lots of interesting flavors.
Talking about flavors this recipe has flavors of whole spices, along with mint and yogurt as base with garam masala and other dry spices, this mix of spices and yogurt gives these rice an interesting lift of flavors and makes the soya chunks juicy. Did I mention we add a lot of fried onions to it another layer of flavor and soft texture. I am sure you would love these soya bean fried rice, and if you are a fried rice person do try my recipes for coconut fried rice, Mumbai style tawa pulav and veg biryani too.
Now that you know the flavors of these Soya chunk fried rices are very interesting, let me re assure you its a fairly simple recipe. With a fairly available list of ingredients. Just a few things you need to make sure for good results ,
- cook rice well so that they don’r stick together.
- use yogurt that is not too old or very tangy.
- fresh mint works best with this recipe.
- I used smaller chunks but you may use large , if you like you may cut them into two once soaked in hot water.
So let’s get going and check out the detailed recipe for this super easy and tasty Soya bean fried rice.
- Cooked rice : 2 cups
- Soya chunks: 1 cup
- Onion: 1 large
- Green Chilies: 2-3
- Yogurt: 5 tbsp
- Mint leaves:10-12
- Bay leaf:1
- Black Cardamom:1
- Turmeric: 1 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1 tsp
- Garam Masala: 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds:1/2 tbsp
- Salt : To Taste
- Oil: 4 tbsp
- Slice onions and chop green chilies.
- Soak soya chunks in hot water for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and to it add cumin seeds and other whole spices and bay leaf.
- Cook for 30 sec and add onion and green chilies, cook till the onions brown.
- Squeeze water from soya chunks and add to the onions.
- To the yogurt add salt, turmeric coriander and garam masala mix and add to the pan.
- Cook for a minute or untill the yougurt starts to leave oil.
- Now add mint leaves roughly torn with hands and season with salt.
- Add rice and mix with gently, without breaking the grains.
- Enjoy your soya chunks fried rice with yogurt or just by themselves
- You may also use left over rice for this recipe.