Hi friends!! Hows everyone doing? well I am good and part of it is because of the weather as I said in my last post too (I know I missed another post, but actually I missed the Tuesday and remembered that 2 days later ..duhh that’s me ;P ).
Its been some time I shared a curry/ gravy or Sabzi. Some of my main course curry recipes are Chana Masala, Matar Paneer ka Nimona, Mixed veg, Mughlai mushrooms etc.. Today’s recipe is Sindhi Kadhi it is actually mixed vegetables in a tangy sauce/ gravy.
Now I made this Sindhi kadhi last week, but I can’t even remember when I made it before that. I guess its been a couple of years if not more. I tasted the Sindhi Kadhi first when one of my neighbor aunties made it. I guess I was in college back then, I loved it and asked for the recipe. It was a simple recipe with mixed vegetables tomatoes and gram flour or Besan. Since then I made it at times and had almost forgotten about it until last week. Actually I was in a mood to have punjabi kadhi and but didn’t have time to make it and remembered this Sindhi Kadhi. A good replacement its spicy and tangy and its much quicker.
Also I am sure the weight watchers and the expecting mums would love it too as is easy to make uses less oil and lots of veggies which makes it very nutritious.
Normally Sindhi Kadhi has enough gravy to eat it with rice, but as I wanted to have it with chapatis kept the consistency a bit thick, saucy gravy. Also a typical Sindhi Kadhi doesn’t use onions which makes it a Jain dish too, If you are not an onion fan please omit it by all means. However I like the crunch of thick par cook onions and thus I have added this to the gravy. Also please feel free to add or change any vegetables as per choice for example people use Okra and drumsticks too in this kadhi so its up to you, I personally like crunchy and non mushy veggies in my Sindhi Kadhi.
I normally make sure whatever I cook for ourselves I serve to my 2.5 years old too, thus I need to make sure the food is not too spicy for him. Having said that I don’t enjoy non spicy food, I use a quick tip to make sure all are happy. Make sure to check the notes section of the recipe for the tip, hope you would find this little tip handy for anything you cook. By the way my son liked the kadhi .
I think that’s all you need to know before you try this nice, spicy and tangy Sindhi Kadhi So let’s check out the recipe.
- Cauliflower florets: 10-12
- Carrots :2
- Peas:1/2 cup
- Beans:1/2 cup
- Potatoes :2 medium
- Onion: 1 Medium
- Ginger: 1/2 inch
- Green Chilies: 2
- Mustard Seeds: 1 tsp
- Gram floor: 2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes : 2 large
- Tamarind pulp: 2 tbsp
- Salt :To taste
- Turmeric:1/2 tbsp
- Coriander powder:1/2 Tbsp
- Red chili powder: 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds:1/2 tsp
- Mustard Seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Asefoetida: 1 pinch
- Water: 3 cups
- Cut Carrots into roundels and potatoes to cubes.
- Also cut the Onions in to chunks and beans into long pieces.
- Puree the tomatoes, chop green chilies and grate ginger.
- Par cook the veggies i.e cauliflower, potatoes, beans and carrots. You may use a pressure cooker for almost 1 whistle on high flame.
- In a pan heat 2 tbsp oil and add cumin seeds and mustard seeds let them splutter.
- Add asefoetida and gram flour keep mixing and cook until the besan/ gram floor turns light brown and a nice aroma can be smelled.
- Now add the tomato puree, green chilies and grated ginger and let it cook for a while.
- Once tomatoes are cooked add dry spices, turmeric, red chili powder,coriander powder and salt to taste.
- Now add tamarind pulp and the par boiled veggies mix well and water let it come to a boil now the kadhi will start to thicken. Cook for 5 minutes till the desired consistency is reached.
- Taste it and adjust salt if needed also here you can adjust the consistency of the gravy by adding more water if you want.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with rice or roti.
- If you want to keep the heat low, omit the red and green chilies initially. Once the Sindhi Kadhi is all done take some out for your little ones. Now heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan add green and red chilies to it add this tempering to the rest of the kadhi to enjoy the spicy flavor.
Sindhi Kadhi is best enjoyed hot , so make some this evening and serve hot with roti/ parantha or rice. Do let me know how you liked it.