Sabudana Khichdi /Khichdi is another classic recipe. It’s a savory breakfast dish made with Tapioca/ sago/ Sabudana. Although mostly Sabudana khichdi is made for fasts like Navratri, or Janamashtami, shivratri etc. it’s a regular in my house.
I love Sabudana Khichdi for many reasons first of all its such a quick and effortless recipe compared to the amazing taste. Another major reason is my son loves it specially with lots of aloo / potatoes in it. I would say such recipes bring you bring you back to the basics and make you realize the power of simplicity.
I have made this Sabudana Khichdi in regular vegetable oil, but I suggest to try it in ghee as well for the utmost flavor . Regarding the flavors of this recipe it tastes very
If you can remember to soak Sabudana a few hours ago then you can make the recipe in a jiffy. It has interesting variation of textures soft Sabudana and aloo/ potatoes goes very well with the roasted peanuts. Although it tastes very nice mild too but I personally prefer to add lots of green chilies to it and love the heat that it brings in.
- Sabudana : 2 cups
- Potatoes : 2 medium
- Roasted Peanuts : 1/2- 3/4 cup
- Cumin Seeds: 1 tsp
- Green chilies: 3-4 (optional)
- Salt : to taste
- Oil: 5-6 Tbsp
- Wash and soak sabudana in enough water to cover the top for at lease 4 hours or leave over night.
- Cut potatoes to slices and microwave for 1.30 mins*
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds once it starts to splutter add green chilies.
- Add potatoes to the oil and and let it cook for 30 seconds (as the potatoes are already cooked)
- Use rolling pin to coarsely crush roasted peanuts.
- Add sabudana and salt to oil mix well. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes or till the sabudana is transparent.
- Add coarsely crushed roasted peanuts and mix well. Serve hot garnish with green cilantro.
- *Microwaving potatoes just makes the process faster but is totally optional you can also cool potatoes in oil for 3-5 minutes or until well cooked.