This one is a nice appetizer, snack , or even breakfast recipe and I love to make it when I am bored of the regular bread or Parantha breakfast. Yes it has easy ingredients and almost no resting and fermenting time. Unlike the traditional ones made out of the rice and urad dal, soaked overnight and ground, long process right, though it definitely has its own advantages, these Paniyarams/ Appe made out of Suji / Rava and veggies are really nice too.
I wasn’t sure what to post today as I had a few pics of the recent recipes I made but they were all yet to be transferred to the laptop. Just browsing through the images I came across these images of Paniyarams that I made on my trip to India few months back.
In fact I got a new Paniyaram pan this time from India (I m missing home ), its a special cast iron pan that is placed directly on heat. We add oil to each shell and then scoop in the batter this heps in evenly shallow frying and results in crusty and golden Paniyarams / appe.
Don’t worry if you don’t have the pan, try the same recipe with a little more water for your instant veggies uthapam. Just spread it on a nonstick pan.
Don’t they look beautiful ? I love the crunch and texture these Appe / Paniyarams have due to this shallow frying in oil and they go really nice with any chutney. I know places where they sell it with the green coriander chutney. For me the one that works the most is the coconut peanut chutney and guess wat there is a recipr for the chutney on the site too on this site.. tada.. .
Coming to the recipe all you need is some suji / rava , finally chopped veggies of your choice (veggies that can be eaten a bit raw & adds crunch works well here) and yogurt as main ingredients.
Recipe for Mixed veg Instant Paniyaram (Appe)
Rava – 1 cup
Yogurt not sour-1/2 cup
Water- 1/2-3/4 cup
Beans chopped-2 Tbsp
Carrot shredded/chopped-2 Tbsp
Capsicum chopped-2 Tbsp (optional)
Mustard seeds- 1 Tsp
Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Mix rava , yogurt and water and let it soak for at least 10-15 minutes
- Meanwhile you may chop the veggies and make the chutney.
- Now add the finally chopped veggies and salt to the mix.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil and add mustard seeds and curry leaves to it when hot, let the mustard seeds splutter and add to the rava mixture.
- Now add 1 tsp oil in each shell of the paniyaram / appe pan and put it on medium heat.
- Add soda to the rava mixture and mix well.
- Pour 1 Tbsp to 1.5 Tbsp in each shell and let it cook. These will fluff up to form nice balls.
- Turn them after 3-4 minutes or until light brown on one side and add more oil to give a nice crust on the other side too.
- That’s it eat it with your favorite chutney. Do let me know how it turned out.