With valentines on its way, love is in the air, let’s try this french classic to make this valentine memorable and even more lovable for you. Ratatouille is a french classic made with vegetables, yes you are right it’s a Disney movie too. When you will check this recipe you will see how similar it is to the way we make Indian curries (sabzi). The french have it with bread, it goes equally well with Roti or parantha.
Traditionally this one is made on stove top and I have tried the same way, though their are many versions using oven to retain the round shapes of the veggies. This tangy red vegetable dish goes well with pasta as well in fact I made it with Penne. It went amazingly well with it. The carbs of pasta combined with nutrition of vegetables make sit kind of a complete meal.
Try this for your kids they will love it and wouldn’t even know they ate vegetables like zucchini and aubergine /brinjal /eggplant. Traditionally it has bell peppers but I missed to add it here.
Zucchini – 2 Medium
Eggplant – 1 Medium
Tomatoes – 3 Medium
Onion – 1 Medium
Garlic- 10 cloves
Olive Oil- 3-4 Tbsp
Tomato puree- 3 Tbsp
Jalapeno peppers – 1 (optional)
Oregano Dried- 1Tsp
Parsley dried- 1/2 Tsp
Thyme Dried – 1/2 Tsp
Salt- To taste
For the pasta:
Boiled Pasta Penne – 2 cups
White Sauce – 3-4 tbsp
Salt – To taste
Olive oil – 2 Tbsp
1) Cut bell peppers, zucchini and eggplant into cubes of similar sizes.
2) Chop onion, jalapeno, garlic and tomatoes
3) Heat oil in a pan and add onion and garlic and saute for a while
4) Add tomatoes, jalapeno and let it cook for some time.
5) Add tomato puree , salt, pepper and vegetables.
6) Let it cook till veggies are tender.
7) Add dried oregano, thyme and parsley and that’s it . Its as simple.
Now for the pasta.
8) Take half of the ratatouille in a blender and make a paste. (if you don’t like chunks you may use all in paste)
9) Heat oil in a pan and add garlic and then the white sauce and ratatouille paste and now the pasta.
10) Mix well and cook for 2 minutes to let the pasta absorb the flavor.
11) Now add the rest of ratatouille and serve. To have an amazing valentines dinner.