All cupcakes are cute, they are yummy but these are definitely one of my favorites. The amalgamation of orange and chai masala flavor goes wonderfully well and the added nuts are the cherry on the cake. The very Idea of coffee cake made me think about a tea cake (though its yet to come) I thought of starting with a chai masala cake, a safer option to try. I thought of experimenting orange flavor with chai masala. It turned out great, the aroma and flavor just makes you love it.
The homemade chai masala turned out so much better then the store bought. Amazing tasting chai (tea) are added perks to this recipe .
Lets get going with the masala and then the cupcakes/muffins. I have used 60% whole wheat flour (just because its healthier). You may try 100% whole wheat version, though I find that the taste is quite compromised in the latter case.
For chai masala:
Grated Nutmeg- 1/3
Cinnamon-2 inch piece
Black pepper corns-5-6
Mace- 1/2 inch piece
Dried ginger powder- 2 tbsp
For the cupcakes/ muffins
All purpose flour-3/4 cup
Whole wheat flour -1 cup
Oil -3/4 cup
Sugar – 1.5 cup
Orange essence-1.5 cup
Orange zest- 1 orange(be sure not to grate the white part of the orange)
Chai masala-1.25 teaspoon
Orange Juice-1.5 cup
Baking powder- 1.5 tsp
Baking Soda- .5 tsp
Roasted & Semi crushed Almonds and walnuts -3/4 cup
1) Grind all the ingredients of chai masala and keep aside. Store in an airtight container once cold.
2) For Cupcake/Muffin heat the oven at 180Deg. C. If using microwave refer step 8.
3) Mix well all dry ingredients including sugar and chai masala.
4) Now add oil, orange essence and half the orange juice at a time mix well. Add further orange juice to get ribbon consistency of the batter (you may use more orange juice if needed).
5) Roll the nuts in 1 tbsp dry flour and then mix in the batter.
6) Grease the muffin tray and fill 1/2 to 3/4 the tray cup and pat the tray to let the batter settle.
7) Put the tray in the oven and check 12-15 minutes. Everybody’s oven are different so keep an eye.
8) For microwave at high it takes not more than 3 minutes for muffin and 5-6 minutes if you are poring the batter in a single container.
9) You know the muffins are done when a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
10) When using oven let the door half open (of s/w off oven) for a while before you take them out completely.
11) Wait if you have the patience to let them cool and dig in.