I am excited about today’s recipe, as this one is simple yet stylish. Mac and cheese cups / Macaroni and cheese cups or even skinny mac and cheese cups, whatever you like to call it I am sure you would love to eat it. My version of skinny mac and cheese uses less butter and cheese, yet tastes yum. This classic recipe is kids favorite and the truth is most adults love it too, the good news is you don’t need to feel guilty anymore after having this skinny version.
My son is a cheese fan and can eat cheese slices anytime (he has his own issues with cheese sticks), he used to be a pasta enthusiast earlier however now a days he isn’t showing much interest in pasta. So when I made macaroni and cheese last time I thought of doing something interesting to present it to him / sell it to him. I happened to have my silicone muffin molds/mould out that day and thus the idea of baking the macaroni to get these mac and cheese cups.
This Macaroni and cheese cups is a simple one pot recipe (except for boiling and baking obviously). As I said it is a pretty skinny version i.e it doesn’t use a lot of cheese and butter yet its creamy and cheesy in taste.
You may get creative with adding vegetables and seasoning, but I kept this one pretty simple to appeal it to my little one. Some suggestions for playing around would be broccoli, onion,peppers etc for veggies and Chili flakes, black peppers, garlic or parsley for seasoning. You can mix and match these veggies and seasonings to have different variations or can even happily add all of these. If you like pasta with lots of flavors try my recipe for Ratatouille Pasta and this Pasta Casserole I am sure you would love them too.
This skinny mac and cheese is very simple, its made in a white sauce to which I have added finely chopped spinach (as spinach doesn’t have its distinct flavor) some oregano and salt for seasoning and that’s it. For baking I added some more mozzarella on top popped in the oven for a while. Your simple, easy and tasty Mac and cheese cups are ready. It tastes creamy and cheesy and these cups make a good finger food for kids.
Here’s the detailed recipe for you
- Boiled macaroni: 1 cup
- All Purpose flour:1 Tbsp
- Butter : 1 Tbsp
- Mozzarella cheese: 1/2- 3/4 cup
- Alfredo Sauce : 3 tbsp
- Salt : to taste
- Spinach : 1/2 cup chopped
- Oregano : 1/2 Tsp
- Skimmed milk : 1/2 cup
- In a pan add butter on medium heat and add all purpose flour mix and cook for a minute.
- Add milk little at a time while regularly stirring and ensuring no lumps are formed.
- let it come to a boil so that the sauce is thick.
- Add Alfredo sauce, cheese (saving 3 tbsp for baking) and spinach and let it all cook for another minute or until the cheese melts.
- Add macaroni mix well if your sauce is thick add a bit more milk to adjust thickness we are aiming for semi saucy mix.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper
- Turn of the gas and let it sit for 5 minutes
- Till then grease your muffin cups (i used the silicone ones) and scoop in the mixture
- Top with the left over cheese approx 1/2 tbsp on all six muffin cups
- Pop in a preheated oven at 400 deg for 6-8 minutes or until the cheese on top is brown
- Take them out and let it set for at least 15 minutes before removing from the cups(they need time to settle down)
I hope you would definitely try these Mac and cheese cups and enjoy these cute looking darlings for your breakfast tea or for any meal actually.
By the way I am also working on my photography now a days hope you guys see some changes. If you do please share your feedback on the same I would be really happy to see your comments about the pictures as well.