Its a whole new year and I am sure a lot of us made this resolution to get back in shape, or get healthier diet etc. Well in a similar effort I happened to put together this Flax seed and nuts vegetable salad. Last week me and my husband tried to incorporate salads in our dinner on a regular basis. I tried many new varieties of salads some new dressings, I loved the whole experience of trying something new everyday for dinner. Before this my regular salad was chopped onions, tomatoes and cucumbers topped with salt and lemon juice. As I said I wasn’t regular with salads and dressings though I have tried a few earlier like the fruit and nut salad, Greek salad and the pasta Salad. However last week in my effort to incorporate salads for every dinner, I tried Tabbouleh (Lebanese style salad) and another version of Greek salad.
So coming to my Flax seeds and nuts vegetable salad this one is kind of a nutritional powerhouse. Flax seeds (alsi) is one of the few Omega 3 sources for Vegetarians another Omega 3 rich fruit I know is walnuts (other then fishes). So I try to incorporate it in many of our foods for example I make chutneys and ladoos from flax seeds. But if you can just toast it and add it to your salad isn’t it amazing. It has a very nice and mild nutty flavor. Other than that I have added roasted almonds and Peanuts which adds a lot of crunch and nutrition to this salad. Play around with other nuts to change the textures and flavors.
About the flavor of this salad, as I said we tried some Greek and Lebanese versions last week, now I wanted to get back to our very own spicy flavors. Thus I put together a tangy and spicy salad dressing. You may use any other of your favorite dressing or may want to try my Italian dressing too.
About the veggies used here I have used lots of greens and bell peppers, the mixed greens have kale, spinach, red lettuce etc. These nice people at supermarkets pack them ready to mix in a salad I just picked a box of mixed salad greens. Please use your favorite veggies for this salad for example cucumber, tomatoes etc. In case using tomatoes make sure they are firm also de-seeding them can help in maintaining the crunch of the salad. I don’t have much to talk here its a simple recipe and you can’t go wrong about this. So lets get going to make out super simple very tasty, crunchy, nutty Flax seeds and nuts vegetable salad.
- Red Bell Peppers:1/2
- Yellow Bell Peppers:1/2
- Green Bell Peppers:1/2
- Mixed greens:1 big bowl
- Cabbage:1 cup
- Onion:1/2 medium
- Peanut roasted:1/4 cup
- Roasted almonds:1/4 cup
- Flax seeds: 5 Tbsp
- Chopped cilantro:1 tbsp
- Olive Oil: 2 Tbsp
- Lemon Juice:4 Tbsp
- Salt : to taste
- Chat Masala: 1.5 Tbsp
- Chili Powder: 1/4 Tbsp
- Chop length wise mixed greens, lettuce, onions,red green and yellow peppers.
- Dry roast flax seeds on low flame until they start to splutter and keep aside.
- In a big mixing bowl add all the veggies.
- Mix all the ingredients of dressing in a small bowl and whisk well for at least a minute or until it all emulsifies to a thick dressing.
- Add the dressing to the salad bowl and toss the salad to well incorporate the dressing.
- Add peanuts, almonds, flax seeds and chopped cilantro and mix well.
- Serve right away, don't wait too long after mixing this salad or the greens might wilt and the nuts might get soggy.
- You might want to cut the veggies and whisk the dressing before hand , mix it all together just when you are ready to serve.