Hi there, How are you guys? I am excited..and for a good reason. We are baking Egg less / vegan cornbread today . It is a soft crumbly bread that you can enjoy your tea or coffee, just top it with your favorite butter or pesto, or enjoy it warm just by itself. The sunflower seeds give it a nice crunch that adds to its crumbly texture. Unlike banana or pumpkin loaf its not sweet, instead this Egg less corn bread is soft, mild and savory with nice crunch of nuts, for you to top with the flavors of your choice. Isn’t that exciting!!
Another interesting thing is this corn bread recipe uses just 2 table spoons of oil, which makes it perfectly lean recipe for our weight watchers.
I got this recipe from a Vegan baking book I got from Library few months ago. I wanted to make a perfect egg less yet fluffy cake. While looking for cakes I found this bread recipe which looked interesting and gave it a try. But as usual I didn’t have all the ingredients and also I wanted to bring in some changes so adapted the recipe a bit. Also the recipe was vegan but I don’t mind milk so used it instead of Almond milk. Which turned out really nice.
This cornbread recipe makes a big batch with I kept in my fridge and had it with different toppings like , peanut butter, pesto, or just butter for a week. So if you wish, please cut the recipe in half for a smaller bread loaf.
Also this Egg less / Vegan Corn Bread tastes best warm, but you can also microwave it for a while to enjoy this soft and mildly flavored bread every time.
Now coming to the things you need to keep in mind while baking this delicious corn bread. Use a pan of apt size else you might have a bulge and crack in the bread, like mine (I needed to use a bigger loaf pan). Also bake well till the edges are golden brown and the start to leave the pan and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
About my adaptations the recipe was for a seedless bread so I added sunflower seeds. I used 2 table spoons of honey in place of the brown rice syrup suggested in the recipe. Also I didn’t use sparkling water / soda in the recipe. Plain white vinegar instead of the apple cider vinegar.
So lets get down to the recipe now. Quick and simple mild and crumbly Egg less/ vegan Corn bread.
- Fine Corn Meal: 1.5 cups
- All purpose flour:1.5 cups
- Baking Powder: 1 tsp
- Baking Soda : 3/4 tsp
- White viegar:1 tbsp
- Soy milk/ milk: 2 1/3 cups
- Honey:2 Tbsp
- Salt:1 tsp
- Oil: 2 Tbsp
- Toasted Sunflower seeds: 3/4 cup
- Preheat oven at 180 degree Celsius.
- Sift together baking soda, baking powder and all purpose flour. Add in the corn meal and mix well. Mix seeds and salt.
- In another mixing bowl mix well, oil, 2 cups milk, vinegar, and honey.
- Add to the dry ingredient and mix to incorporate well, don't over mix.
- The batter should be thick pouring consistency, so if needed add the remained 1/3 cup of milk.
- Pour into a 9x12 inch baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the edges are brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes before taking out of the pan and then cool for another 5-7 minutes on a wire rack before serving.
So make sure to enjoy this crumbly, soft and mild bread which gives a nice corn flavor. With such an easy recipe and quick ingredients you can really do this any time.