It’s Christmas time here and Xmas is not complete without a yummy fruit cake. I have tried many fruit cake recipes but this for me is by far the best. It has a very nice flavor of spices, density and moisture of fruits like, prunes and figs, and candied fruitcake mix (tutti frutti can replace this) , the pumpkin seeds add a nice crunch. All in all you have to try try this fruit cake to check how amazing it tastes.
This recipe is inspired by Nigella Lawsons Christmas cake, I really like Nigella Lawson, specially the way she makes things look effortless, just the way I want cooking to be, effortless. I say this recipe is inspired because I make this cake egg less and a different combination and proportion of fruits, she doesn’t use any pumpkin seeds and figs in her recipe, and my proportion of floor baking powder and baking soda is different.
So coming to flavor and texture of this cake. I have used spices like cloves, cinnamon, ginger powder in it.This along with orange juice and essence gives a very nice flavor. The fruits I have used here are prunes and figs along with candied fruit cake mix( tutti frutti can replace this), I have also used pumpkin seeds in this recipe (you may replace it with roasted almonds/cashews/walnuts etc) these dry fruits make this fruit cake very healthy and also add a nice texture and density to the cake. I have also used some cocoa powder in the recipe which helps in bringing this nice dark color and also brings all the flavors along. Another important thing here about this cake is as its very dense we bake it at a lower temperature and it can take anywhere from an hour to 1.5 hrs. Also this can be easily made vegan just replace the butter with oil and you have your vegan version (this cake is egg less and doesn’t use any milk or milk product other than butter ).
Enough cake talks, now lets get to baking.
Recipe for Egg less/ vegan Christmas Fruit Cake:
Flour: 1 3/4 cups
Prunes: 1 cup
Figs -4 soaked
Candied fruit cake mix: 1/2 cup
Pumpkin seeds roasted: 3/4 cup
Butter/ Oil-3/4 cup
Baking powder-1 Tbsp
Baking soda – 1 Tbsp
Cinnamon Stick- 1 inch
ginger powder 3/4 tbsp
orange essence- 1 tbsp
Cocoa powder – 2 tbsp
brown sugar- 1.25 cup
warm water-.5-1 cup
- Ground spices and sugar together in a blender.
- Chop prunes and figs coarsely
- In a big deep pan add butter sugar and spice mix, lemon and orange zest, prunes, figs , candied fruit cake mix, cocoa powder and simmer.
- Squeeze one seedless orange juice in the pan and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven at 300 degrees F.
- In another mixing bowl add flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix well with a whisk add pumpkin seeds.
- Also grease a baking dish, i used a bunt pan.
- wait till the fruit and sugar mix is warm but not yet cold and add it to the flour mix and mix to incorporate everything together,add orange essence and add warm water to adjust the consistency to a thick pouring cake batter.
- Add the batter to the baking dish and put it in the oven for around 1 hour check in between around 30 minutes you may rotate the baking dish. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Enjoy this Christmas cake with your loved ones.