Quesadillas are yummy and simple meal which can light up your breakfast, lunch or dinner. The fact that making quesadillas is so easy and quick makes it even more lovable.
My husband is my best critic, when a recipe passes his taste buds I am pretty sure most of the people would like it. This one got an A+ from him and here it is for everyone..presenting the Bean and Vegetable Quesadillas loaded with Cheeeseee…. for me cheese means more the yummier. Is there anything called too much cheese ..I don’t think so 😉 .
So coming to Quesadillas it is a Spanish term Pronounced as (Kesavia/ Kesadia), basically it means a flour or corn tortilla with savory filling. When it comes to savory filling the options are unlimited, you can make it with whatever you like. In this recipe I used Red kidney beans, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions and cheese. I find it interesting because it’s kind of a complete meal. Its has its Proteins, Calcium and veggies. Very close to an Indian meal, and a nice change in taste.
This time I used store bought tortillas but I will try to make it with the homemade tortillas next time. Tortillas are pretty similar to the Indian Rotis/ chapatis but they remain soft for longer I guess. I am yet to try them at home till then enjoy this recipe with the store bought ones. This makes it easier and quicker as well.
I used a mix of cheddar and mozzarella cheese. But its totally up to you, use whatever you like and whatever is available. Remember that along with adding the supper yummy cheesy flavor, cheese also helps is sticking the tortillas together so don’t cut too short on it.
Now coming to assembling quesadillas there are two most common ways of assembling, one in which either you use two tortillas to make a kind of sandwich, which I have used here. Second where you may just use one tortilla heat on both sides, spread the filling on half of it and then fold it, this makes a smaller serving if you want. Time to checkout the recipe now.
Recipe for bean and Vegetable Quesadillas:
Yield: 4 Quesadilla good for 2-4 people
Boiled red kidney beans-1 Cup
Green Bell pepper-1/4 Cup chopped
Onions Chopped-1/2 cup
Tomatoes- 1/4 cup chopped
Garlic- 2-3 cloves chopped
Roasted Cumin Powder- 1 Tbsp
Red chili powder-1 Tbsp
Grated Mozzarella cheese-1/2 cup
Grated Cheddar cheese- 1/2 cup
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add garlic, once it starts to turn brown add Onions and saute till it sweats.
- Now add the tomatoes bell peppers and spices mix well.
- Cook for a minute, we want the veggies to be cooked but not mushy. Keep aside to cool.
- In a pan take 1/2 tbsp oil and slightly heat to tortillas on both sides.
- Keep the heat on low and on one tortilla generously spread the filling and spread shredded cheese over it again generously. keep in mind that it helps the tortillas stick and also adds a lot to the taste.
- Put another tortilla over the cheese and press with the help of a spatula. let it cook till its brown on one side flip and cook to similar color on the other side too.
- Keep aside and repeat the process with all the tortillas.
- Using a pizza cutter/knife cut the tortillas in 4 and your quesadillas are ready to be enjoyed with sour cream or Salsa.